If footballs were a book, it would be a saga of attack and defense. While every player is equally important but the attacker/stickers always leave a significant impact on the fans because they do the most eye-catching thing in a football game; score goals.
Let’s have a look at the top ten attackers/strikers of all time:
- Ferenc Puskas: A player with a unique nickname and an even impressive game, Puskas aka ‘Galloping Major’. He scored 357 goals in 354 games during the twelve years he spent at Kispest. That’s over one goal per game! After he headed to Real Madrid, he scored 512 goals in 528 games. No wonder FIFA honored him by naming the award for the most significant goal each year after him. This legend departed from this world in 2004 at the age of 79.
- Alfredo Di Stefano: He was a contemporary of Puskas. He maintained a legacy of scoring a tremendous number of goals which he continued even after he moved to Europe in 1953 by scoring 308 goals in 396 games. He too has left this world in 2014 at the age of eighty-eight.
- Pele: There’s no denying the fact that Pele is among the best attackers in the history of football-and arguably the best footballer of all time. He won the World Cup by the age of 17! He is said to have scored 1281 goals!
- Romario: Maybe Brazilians have it in their veins. Like Pele is to a Brazilian player and a slight attacker. No wonder he was named World Player of the Year in 1994.
- Ronaldo: Another Brazilian player and again, a wonderful one. Who hasn’t heard of Ronaldo, right? He was three times The World Player of the year. His skills as an attacker are admirable. He is one of best attackers the of all time, hand down!
- Gerd Muller: He scored 365 goals in 427 Bundesliga games, which is approximately one goal per game, and that’s commendable. He was titled the European Footballer of the year in 1970. He notched 68 goals in 62 games for West Germany. Popularly known as Der Bomber, this man bombed his club and country with an immense number of goals. It is almost impossible for anyone to give one good reason as to why he shouldn’t be among the top ten attackers in history football.
- Marco Van Basten: He was named the World Player of the Year in 1992. He was three times Ballon d’Or Winner. Unfortunately due to ankle issues, his career can to an early end. Nevertheless, he was one of the best attackers of all time.
- Jimmy Greaves: He has an excellent record in scoring goals and was a part of the World Cup-winning team in 1966. There’s no denying the fact that he was not only one of the finest football players of Britain but also among the best attackers in the history of football.
- Eusebio: He scored 473 goals in 440 games! Wow! He won Ballon d’Or and was the top scorer in the World Cup of 1966.
- Fernando Peyroteo: He scored a massive 541 goals in merely 334 games. Unbelievable. He died in 1978 at the age of sixty but is still counted among the best attackers in the history of football because of his exceptional performances.
Read more on my blog: